Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dining Room Makeover

Here's another room in Cassie's house.  The dining room. It had wallpaper in it and Cassie had removed it.  The walls needed major repair and the room was very dark with all the paneling and wood.

We first applied Spackling Paste to all the areas that needed it.  We used a trowel to smooth it out and let it dry.  Once it was dry, we lightly sanded it down. 


Once the walls were dry, we had to prime them.  We applied spackling again to areas that still didn't look right and repeated the same process again.

The blinds had to go!!

Don't the white ones look better?

Once the walls were all done, we painted them a light pinkish mauve.

The paneling and dark doors were what made this room look so dark and closed in, so we wanted to brighten it up by painting them.  We had to sand them all down first.  We used a shop vac to help with keeping the dust down.  It helped quit a bit, since there was so much to sand.

Here is what it looked like after we primed all the wood.

The door and cabinet doors were a dark brown also, so we had to sand them down and prime them too.

We painted the panelling and doors in a white satin.

Here's the final room.

It looks so much bigger and brighter.

This is our next project.  Can't wait to open this space up more and brighten the family room up too.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Where There's a Will, There's a Way

I went to Goodwill the other day and they had a red Ikea couch in perfect condition for $50.00.  It was perfect for the girls' playing room, so I bought it.

 I told the cashier I needed to go to the grocery store and then would be back.  I asked him if they had rope in the back and he said, "Yeah, they should."  I guess "Should"  should have been my clue.  Of course, when I went to pick it up, they didn't have any rope and it was bigger than I had thought when they put it in my car. It was late, I had just come from the store, and I just wanted to get it and go home.  So, I looked in my car to see if there and anything I could use.  Well, I had two bags of grocery bags that I was intending to take to the grocery store some day.  For once, it was good to procrastinate.  I started tying them together to make a rope.  The two employees that I put it in my car just stood there watching the whole time.  One of them said I was very creative.  I had a heck of a time figuring out how to even attach it to my car, but I did it!  I didn't have to drive that far, so I was just praying I would make it.  Here are pictures of how it looked after I got home.


 It was a lot tighter when I started, so the bags must have stretched out, but, I did make it home. So, it worked!