Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Half Bath Makeover

My husband and I decided to change the half bath downstairs.  This is what it looked like before we did anything.  I'm using an old camera in these pics, so sorry for the poor quality.  At least you can get the idea from them.
 


We wanted to make it look bigger and keep the storage we had.  Our solution to that was to put a pedestal sink in and add a built in cabinet (under the stairway) on the other side.
 
 
This is across from the sink, below the stairs. 


 
We bought a cabinet from Habitat for Humanity at a very reasonable price.  Hubby cut the hole in the wall the size of the cabinet.



With the cabinet, we had more space than before, along with a drawer in the middle.  The cabinet looked great in there.

 
 
This was our first time to tile a floor.  We decided to start in the back and move forward.  We were both nervous about doing it,
but it wasn't difficult at all.  We had a wet saw for any pieces we needed to cut.
 
 


Here's the tile finished.
 

 
 
I was very fortunate that my dear husband could fix the plumbing, which he didn't know.

 

I came up with the idea of bringing the wall out a little around the pedestal sink.  It also made a little shelf on the top.




 
 
Here's my husband checking out the pedestal sink, before we started tiling.
 
 


This is the design I came up with for the walls.  We used cheaper tiles, and then added a few more expensive ones.  You can see the shelf we added for behind the sink.  I had to cut a lot of tiles for this design, but it wasn't hard, just more time consuming.




 

 

Because the toilet was set back from the sink, it actually made the bathroom look larger.

 









Here are some pictures of how it turned out.  We were very happy with it.




Sorry, this is the only picture I have of just the pedestal sink.
 











I

No comments:

Post a Comment